Thursday, June 10, 2010

Eating by the clock

Today's meeting was about being satisfied around the clock with your eating.  It was about the importance of paying attention to your body and listening to your hunger signals.  Knowing whether you are really hungry or not is important as well. Many people eat out of boredom or stress.  I am one of those people.  Stress mostly is a trigger for me to overeat.  I am just now learning this about myself.  When I have a lot going on I tend to get overwhelmed and don't know what to do first.  Instead of clearing my mind or taking a minute to figure out what is really bothering me, I turn to food.  It usually isn't celery and carrots either if you know what I mean.  Some people eat by the clock, meaning breakfast at 8, lunch at noon, etc..   I am learning to listen to my body and eat when I am hungry.  Sometimes this means lunch is at 11 and other days it is at 1.  Some days I have snacks, some days I don't.  A good tip I learned is if you think you are hungry then drink a big glass of water and wait 20 minutes.  Go do something for 20 minutes and if you are still hungry after that then have something to eat.  It really helps me to plan ahead, especially when I am not at home.  If I am going to be out doing something for a long period of time I try to pack a snack with me.  That way I don't turn to junk because I am prepared.  I also try to carry a water bottle with me wherever I go.  Often I find that my hunger is really thirst.  When I drink water all day I am less hungry.  I am really just trying to pay attention and listen to what my body is telling me.  It is a learning process.

On another note -- I lost 4 lbs this week!!!  I am going to keep up the blogging of my food because it is helping me be accountable.  I have lost a total of 10.2 lbs and 5 % of my body weight!

I am running the Bellin Run (a 10k) this saturday with my hubs and brother in law.  I am not out to set any records, just to finish it.  Hopefully it doesn't rain. I have to work 12 hours right after the race, so if it is post poned due to storms I will be very sad.

2 comments:

  1. Yahoooo! 4 lbs, you are a rockstar! :) Good for you, I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Kelli! How did the run go?

    ReplyDelete